Our vision for science
To create an ambitious and challenging curriculum that provides all students with the knowledge, skills and cultural capital they need to successfully navigate the fast-changing world around them whilst gaining a depth of understanding that will enable them to pursue science beyond key stage 4.
We offer a broad and deep curriculum that focuses on powerful knowledge and threshold concepts. We believe that mastery of threshold concepts is integral to students accessing powerful knowledge and gaining a deep understanding and appreciation of science.
We aim for each student to develop a natural curiosity and passion for science through scientific enquiry and a wide range of enrichment activities.
Powerful Knowledge in Science
We have identified the following powerful knowledge that we believe to be the key threshold concepts for our subjects.
- Taught in specialisms; Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Covers the national curriculum and more, but focuses on identified threshold concepts (see above). More time is devoted to these concepts and a mastery learning philosophy is promoted.
- There is a large focus on understanding concepts through:
- Testing prior knowledge
Formative assessment / questioning
- Interleaving and self-testing are a feature of the curriculum and independent study.
- There is always at least one of the following foci to practical work;
- Improve knowledge,
- Practice procedures and techniques,
- Learn about scientific enquiry.
We provide enrichment for a number of reasons;
- To promote a love of the subject.
- To increase student’s cultural capital.
- To teach powerful knowledge specific to science.
- Increase at uptake at KS4, 5 and beyond.
- Narrow attainment gaps.
- Promoting STEM Careers.
- Stretch / Challenge / Aspirations.
- Promote oracy.